DORAL, FL – Miami-Dade will enter phase two on September 14. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis made the announcement on Friday while speaking at the Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science in Miami.
According to the governor, the COVID-19 positive hospitalization rate has decreased around 75% in Miami-Dade as well as in Broward, that will also reopen on Monday, since the peak in July.
“Miami-Dade has gone so far in a good direction. Really appreciate that,” DeSantis said, as reported by Fox 29.
Entering phase 2 means schools will reopen to allow students to continue learning out of the distance learning model.
“The most significant aspect of that is it really clears the pathway for in-person instruction to resume” DeSantis said. “This will be important for the school district.”
In the face of this, Miami-Dade Superintendent, Alberto Carvalho, said the district will announce the starting date for in-classroom learning by September 30.
“It opens the doors, literally, to the possibility of a return to schools,” Carvalho said. “The schoolhouse is the best place for children to learn.”
Now, parents will have to decide if they keep their kids at home or send them to school again.
But this new measure will also benefit entertainment venues like movie theaters, bowling alleys, playhouses, and arcades that according to Miami-Dade County Mayor, Carlos Gimenez, will reopen at 50% capacity.
As far as bars and nightclubs goes, it was revealed they will both remain closed in Miami-Dade County for now despite the fact the Department of Business and Professional Regulation announced late Thursday Florida bars may reopen at 50% capacity on Monday, September 14.
Mayor Carlos Gimenez confirmed through his official Twitter account that Miami-Dade County bars will remain closed.
“There are other parts of our state where opening bars is perfectly OK. That’s fine because they have very few cases of COVID-19,” Gimenez said. “We’re still not out of the woods yet, but we’re getting close.