Doral, FL – In an effort to prevent dangerous accidents resulting from drivers running red-lights and following a 90-day warning period and informational campaign, the Doral Police Department will begin issuing citations to red-light runners designated intersections beginning June 30, 2011.
The Road Safety Cameras capture still images and video of red-light running violations. During the 90-day warning period, over 3,000 warning notices were issued to the registered owners of vehicles that ran red lights.
Red-light running is the leading cause of urban crashes according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Deaths caused by red-light running are increasing at more than three times the rate of increase for all other fatal crashes, and more people are injured in crashes involving red-light running than in any other crash type.
This is a public safety program, and the City of Doral’s goal is to deter red-light runners and prevent collisions and deaths resulting from these violations.
The safety cameras are located at the following intersections:
· NB NW 87th Avenue @ NW 36th St/Doral Boulevard
· EB NW 36th Street/Doral Boulevard @ NW 87th Avenue
· WB NW 36th Street/Doral Boulevard @ NW 87th Avenue
· SB NW 79th Avenue @ NW 36th Street/Doral Boulevard
· EB NW 36th Street/Doral Boulevard@ NW 79th Avenue
· WB NW 36th Street/Doral Boulevard @ NW 79th Avenue
· NB NW 97th Avenue @ NW 41st Street/Doral Boulevard
· SB NW 97th Avenue @ NW 41st Street/Doral Boulevard
· WB NW 41st Street/Doral Boulevard @ NW 97th Avenue
· EB NW 41st Street/Doral Boulevard @ NW 107th Avenue
· WB NW 41st Street/Doral Boulevard @ NW 107th Avenue
Cameras operate 24-hours a day and capture images of every vehicle running a red-light at the intersection. Warning signs alerting drivers to the intersection safety cameras have been installed. Citations come with a fine of $158. As with the warnings, violators will be sent citations via first-class mail. Drivers who receive a citation can log on to www.ViolationInfo.comfor information and to view the violation. The program is administered by American Traffic Solutions, Inc. (ATS) with each violation reviewed and approved by the Doral Police Department prior to being issued.
Intersection safety technology is just one way the City of Doral will make local streets safer for everyone. For more information on the City of Doral’s Road Safety Program, visitwww.CityofDoral.com.
Note to editors: Video of crashes captured by our Road Safety Cameras due to red-light running is available to interested media, upon request.
The City of Doral has contracted with American Traffic Solutions Inc. (ATS) which provides road safety programs for nearly 300 communities across North America. More information about ATS is available at www.atsol.com.