This is a difficult time for everyone. And for the thousands across Florida who have lost health coverage through their employer, there’s added stress in the middle of this COVID-19 crisis. If you lost health coverage through your job, chances are you can continue your same group coverage for at least 18 months, although the price of these plans may be very expensive.
Florida Blue’s Affordable Care Act (ACA) plans (these are also known as Marketplace plans) may be an affordable option, and you may get help paying the cost of your monthly premium through a subsidy. In order not to lose health care coverage, you need to act quickly after losing your job.
Here are 5 tips that can help you make the best decision for you.
- You have options. Losing coverage through your job makes you eligible to buy an individual plan. Due to the change in your income, you may even qualify for financial assistance to help pay for your insurance. Even if you already have another job, you may still want to explore these plans if your new employer doesn’t offer health coverage.
- Do your research. Florida Blue has many plans to choose from. Based on your income, there may be plans available to you for $0. Our agents can help identify the best option for you based on your health care needs and income.
- Get personalized advice. Consider getting advice from a trusted Florida Blue agent who can guide you in selecting the best plan.
- Get help paying for your insurance. Depending on your income, you may qualify for financial help from the Federal government. Most people do qualify for financial assistance.
- Don’t wait. Losing your group coverage makes you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period to buy a plan. But you only have 60 days from when you lost your job to buy a plan, or you’ll need to wait until Open Enrollment, which starts in November for coverage that begins January 1, 2021.
To learn more about the available Florida Blue ACA Marketplace plans and their unique benefits – including the Better You Rewards program that gives ACA members the opportunity to earn money toward their monthly payments – visit the Florida Blue website at www.floridablue.com, or call 1-800-352-2583 to speak to a representative or to find a contracted general agent in your neighborhood.
Florida Blue is a trade name of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Inc., an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. These policies have limitations and exclusions. The amount of benefits provided depends on the plan selected and the premium may vary with the amount of benefits selected. Benefits displayed are only available in certain plans and certain counties. ¹To be eligible for $0 monthly cost, your Marketplace monthly advance premium tax credit must equal to or be more than the premium. ²Rewards available for individual ACA members 18 years or older. Reward amounts will apply to premiums and excess amounts may be redeemed subject to the reward program’s terms and conditions.